In addition to SFCDC’s training programs, several local groups provide training on advocacy, housing and economic development, and organizational development. Several regional and national organizations provide excellent training as well.
LOCAL TRAINING PROVIDERS
Catalyst Miami (formerly the Human Services Coalition) offers a variety of training programs in advocacy and leadership development.
- Parent Leadership Training Institute
- Advocacy Corps Training
- Public Allies
- Neighborhood Leadership Program
- Storytelling Initiative
The Metropolitan Center’s Training Institute provides training programs to state agencies, local government, and non-profit organizations in South Florida. Topics range from essential customer service skills to creating organizational performance measures.
- Business writing
- Customer service
- Grant writing
- Professionalism and ethics
- Records management
- Strategic planning
As well as offering an interdisciplinary one-year graduate program, the Real Estate Development and Urbanism program offers short courses, seminars, and a lecture series.
- Fundamentals of real estate development
- Livable community planning and design
REGIONAL TRAINING PROVIDERS
Community Real Estate Development (CRED) is a three-module certificate program designed to give participants the tools to carry out successful affordable housing and community development initiatives.
- Basics of real estate analysis
- Financing and subsidy resources for affordable housing
- Managing the community real estate development process
The Coalition’s goal is to offer a seamless continuum of training opportunities on any housing or community development topics with which you may need assistance. Our Technical Advisors’ expertise is regularly tapped for local, state and national programs, such as:
- State Housing Initiative Partnership (SHIP) Program; (Click Here for Workshop Trainings)
- Hardest-Hit Fund;
- Predevelopment Loan Program
- Neighborhood Stabilization Program;
- Ending Homelessness; and
The Florida Housing Coalition also hosts an annual training conference each year.
NATIONAL TRAINING PROVIDERS
Enterprise Advisors, technical assistance (TA) work begins with an assessment that identifies capacity gaps and strategic opportunities. They then design and deliver practical, results-oriented TA that is responsive to local market forces and aligned with community needs and priorities. They strive to build the capacity of the public sector so that funding is deployed effectively and so that programs are operating optimally to meet the needs of all residents.
Our technical assistance goals:
- Deploy limited resources strategically
- Leverage and align resources with opportunities
- Use data and outcomes to drive decision making
- Utilize best practices from across the country
- Efficient operation of programs that meet needs
- Culturally and linguistically competent service
The National Development Council (NDC) offers training in economic and housing development finance through certification programs, professional development courses, and an annual NDC Academy.
- Economic development finance
- Housing development finance
- Rental housing development finance
NeighborWorks America provides training in a broad range of community and revitalization practices through several opportunities including national Training Institutes, local Place-Based Training and online learning such as webinars and eLearning. Some of the programs offer a professional certificate.
- Affordable housing
- Asset management
- Community economic development
- Community engagement
- Community & neighborhood revitalization
- Construction & production management
- Homeownership & community lending
- Management & leadership