Neighborhood Housing Services of South Florida
Job Title: Community Development Director
Job Relationships: Reports to President/CEO
The Community Development Director serves in a senior level internal and external role for the organization’s comprehensive community development efforts. S/he leads, coordinates, and manages the organization’s efforts in our target areas in Miami-Dade and Broward Counties. The position oversees the Community Building department and is responsible for developing and implementing long range plans that will achieve the outcomes and goals for the maximum benefit of the neighborhood, its residents, and our partners. The position develops and maintains sound business practices, identifies and seeks out new opportunities for growth and expansion of current lines of business in the community, and maintains productive working relationships with business and community partners.
- Lead our ongoing cross-sector coalitions in several neighborhoods of stakeholders and create long-range neighborhood action plans to include all the elements (health, safety, education, housing, retail, and transportation) for a vibrant and healthy community.
- Provide project management oversight on current projects and ensure that activities and outcomes are monitored and community action plans are maintained and updated.
- Direct the work of the Community Building department, integrating the organization’s other lines of business into the development of its primary neighborhoods; determine work procedures, prepare activity schedules, develop workflow, and prepares and administers the department budget.
- Assist in the development of the organization’s strategic plan for neighborhood-based intervention strategies.
- Lead the development and monitoring of outcomes, indicators, and performance measures for the organization’s comprehensive community development efforts in targeted neighborhoods to offer new opportunities for businesses, residents, and visitors.
- Supervise the coordination of all planning and implementation activities with primary neighborhood partners.
- Assist the President and the Chief Development Officer in raising capital for the continuation and expansion of comprehensive community development efforts.
- Supervise Community Building staff and holds them accountable for responsibilities inherent in their position by establishing performance criteria, assisting them in identifying goals, developing action plans for achieving them, and conducting timely performance evaluations.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the President.
Experience and Qualification Requirements:
- Master’s degree (preferred) in urban planning, business management, macro level social work, or related field.
- Ten years of experience in urban planning, community development finance, community organizing, housing development, or business development with corporations, foundations, nonprofit organizations, national intermediaries, and federal and local governments.
- Demonstrated program design, management, and evaluation skills in a community development setting.
- Previous supervisory experience required.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and computer skills in Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, and program management software.
- Ability to use GIS data systems preferred.
- Ability to organize own work, set priorities, meet critical deadlines, exercise professional judgment, and make sound decisions.
- Ability to work with customers, business partners, donors, volunteers, and other community professionals of diverse backgrounds with a positive, optimistic, goal-oriented attitude that reflects positively on NHSSF and its mission.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends, including work of more than 40 hours per week as required.
- Ability to lift at least 10 pounds and participate in event setup activities.
- Must have valid drivers license and reliable automobile to commute among various neighborhoods and offices.
- Strong leadership and problem solving skills that reflect teamwork, integrity, effectiveness, efficiency, and the ability to deliver high-quality customer service, including the ability to mediate disagreements;
- Demonstrated ability in developing and motivating a team to meet or exceed objectives
- Good time management skills ;
- Ability to work well under pressure; multi-task with the capability of handling several items at a time while continuing day-to-day operations;
- Good interpersonal communication skills;
- Detail oriented and able to complete projects with a high standard of quality; and
- Creative, strong analytical, systems, and problem solving skills needed to evaluate performance, prepare reports, and recommend/implement solutions using independent judgment.
Salary and Benefits:
- Salary is commensurate with the job responsibilities, skill required, and experience of the individual.
- Benefits are described in the Personnel Policy provided to each employee.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this position. This is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required.
To Submit Resume and Coverletter: Resumes@NHSSF.org